Head of Software
We are looking for a Head of Software based full time at our office near Bolton who is wanting to step into an exciting role within a growing company. This is an important position helping to ensure that Amscreen is recognized as being the most successful and progressive business in the digital signage industry.
The position is “hands on” so the expectation is that this person will be both proficient at a coding level and also a capable manager, directing and supporting the activities of a small software team, balancing the expectations of internal stakeholders, liaising with customers and managing external software suppliers.
Amscreen provides a total service from hardware development and manufacturing to monitoring and back end services therefore this role requires someone with good knowledge of full stack development, taking in firmware and driver, SQL database, windows and web applications and UI, communications protocols, etc – we would not expect the right person to be proficient across all these areas but they must display an ability to quickly absorb technical challenges, architect solutions and bring the team forward to provide solutions including using external resource.
You will report to the Product Development and Delivery Director, however contact will be at all levels including the CEO.
Skills and Attributes
- Track record of delivering robust and secure software and applications in a full stack environment.
- Ability to manage a small team ensuring good coding practices and documentation. Able to manage projects and teams in an agile manner.
- Capable of shifting gears between code, managing others, reporting and documentation.
- Experience of building applications/systems centered around the collection, manipulation and presentation of data utilizing SQL server and server-side PC database applications, Microsoft development stack .NET, C#.
- Knowledge of PHP and JQuery would be an advantage.
- Exposure to hardware, driver and firmware development and familiarity with C++ would be an advantage.
- Strong communication skills and a can do attitude. There will be a large element of working in partnership with our customers, you will be the representative of Amscreen, listening to customer needs and taking them on board.
- Innovative – always looking for better ways to do things and achieve objectives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To manage Amscreen software development, effectively managing the development team, developing applications and systems that meet the expectations of internal and external stakeholders.
- Be responsible for software testing and release, ensuring that deployed software is fit for purpose and robust
- Ensuring that Amscreen software is well documented and the processes surrounding code development are fit for purpose, fully understood and maintained.
- Managing external development partners, giving clear direction, monitoring deliverables and ensuring project targets are met.
- Responding to customer requests, liaising with customer development teams, working as an extension to their own project teams and representing Amscreen.
- Liaising internally with stakeholders that rely on software support, (manufacturing, customer service) and ensuring that their needs are met.
- Timely and accurate reporting to senior management.